Saturday, December 19, 2015

READ IF YOU DARE--VINTAGE CHRISTMAS CARDS BY CHERYL PIERSON


Ever since I came upon some of the weirdest vintage Easter cards I’d ever seen and blogged about those (in two parts, no less!) I’ve just been fascinated by some of the ideas that artists of the past have had for greeting cards. What in the world crossed their minds? Who did they think would enjoy these cards, much less pick them out of all the choices available to buy and send?

Evidently, I’m not the only one who has wondered. Take a look at some of these—they are beyond “odd”.


Yes. Scallops lamenting the absence of their friends (natives), so the card says—obviously the British. “May we soon see them again.” Uh…why? So they can eat us? MERRY CHRISTMAS!


Okay, maybe it’s just me, but…being wish “Compliments of the Season” by a boiling pan head imp that looks female on top and male on the bottom…well, that’s just plain weird. For some reason, this reminds me of the scene at the beginning of Bewitched when the pan boils over on the stove…

I
Downright creepy. An educated pigman. Or is it a boy? The hat looks like that of a young boy, but that face is anything but endearing. And why does he need the binoculars? “The better to spy on you with, my dear…” Oh, but he’s carrying a book, so at least he must be educated.


Nothing says Merry Christmas like a picture of a dead robin, does it? I mean, what could be more joyful? Nope…can’t think of much else that could come close.


Do y’all remember the picture on the Easter card of the rabbit carefully stepping out of his home to go hunting with the colored eggs all around him? That’s what this reminds me of. A sweet little dog with a rifle near at hand…just in case he needs it.


Well, what have we here? A frog that has been robbed and murdered by another one. But, let’s not forget to have a MERRY CHRISTMAS, shall we?


As long as we’re on the subject of frogs, how about this one? Beetle and frog having a Christmas waltz, while the dragonflies dance in the background and the giant mosquito plays the tambourine. Festive, right?


Merry Christmas! If you survive being mauled by the polar bear…

It’s hard to think what must have been going on inside the creative brains of these illustrators, isn’t it? Or…were they just toying with us? Maybe these were meant to be ridiculous and make us laugh. But wait…what’s that I hear? Crying children? Wings of a…LOOK OUT!


Above all, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, even if you’re fighting off polar bears, dancing with frogs, or running from wasps!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sight of some of these truly peculiar Christmas cards, Cheryl. It just shows how strange the creative mind can be. As writers we know this only to well.

    Happy Christmas to you, Cheryl. It has been marvellous working with you these past two years.

    Western Fictioneers is a truly wonderful, supportive organisation and I am proud to be a Western Fictioneers. Thank you to the founding members, Bob Randisi, James Reasoner, Livia Washburner and the late, much missed Frank Roderus. I salute them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Keith, there were more! I just thought by this point people would have had enough. But I have a fascination with these weird cards--if you get a chance, look up vintage Easter cards on Google and you'll see some of those are just as weird as these are.

      Thanks for the kind words, Keith--I have enjoyed working with you, as well. There is not a better group of people than our Western Fictioneers, that's for darn sure!

      MERRY CHRISTMAS!

      Delete
  2. Wow. Are any of these still available for purchase? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, Vonn. If you google vintage greeting cards or vintage Easter cards, you will find all kinds of weirdness in those. I'll see if I can't find the link to where I blogged about those before. I'm excited now to start researching Valentine cards--I'm sure a lot of these artists did all the holidays. Can't wait to see what those will turn up. LOL

      Delete
  3. I like the rabbit, colored eggs, and rifle---IF I had to pick one.

    Somebody is guarding the goods. Unfortunately in this day and age we have to take care of our loved ones, as no one else will.

    Goes to show, the world has been weird for a very long time.

    Nevertheless, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie, that one was one I used in my Easter card blog--oh there are some DOOZIES! Who would have thought that these artists would come up with some of the screwy ideas they dreamed up? Yes, the world HAS been weird for a very long time--we don't have anything in this day and age that they haven't come up with earlier in the way of weird greeting cards, that is for SURE.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Hard to believe. Thanks for sharing...I think.

    Robyn Echols w/a Zina Abbott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zina, the Easter cards were what piqued my interest in these vintage greeting cards. I discovered that there were some weird ones for every holiday. But Bob Vardeman had shared a post with these Christmas cards in it on Facebook. Got me started all over again. LOL

      Delete