Friday, March 4, 2016

Inspiration? by Sara Barnard

As writers, inspiration comes in many forms. When I was writing my Everlasting Heart series, which is due to be released from Prairie Rose Publications in April of this year, my inspiration was rich. A husband in Afghanistan, emergency surgery which predicted cancer in my thyroid, and home alone with three young children and an overactive creative mind. All of this filled the pages of the four books which comprise the Everlasting Heart series, A Heart on Hold, A Heart Broken, A Heart at Home, and A Heart Forever Wild -- all so aptly titled.

In this series, Charlotte Adamsland is left behind when her love, Captain Sanderson Redding, leaves to fight for the south in the American Civil War. After a series of adventures and trials (and battle scenes straight from the fields of Afghanistan), When word reaches Charlotte of Sanderson's death in battle, she refuses to believe it and heads north with only her faith in God, trusty horse, and belief in Sanderson's promise to return to her no matter what to drive her on. And that's just the first book.

When I completed all four books of the Everlasting Heart series, I felt as though I'd shared all of my deepest darkest secrets -- and dirty laundry -- in the pages. Do all writers feel that way?

I find much in my family life, between four kids and a mess of rescue animals and an Army veteran husband. Maybe that's why I am working on my 23rd book right now.

What is your inspiration when you write?

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Sara. Everyday events and family stories sneak into my writing all the time. That's one reason I like to hang around my aunties and uncles. When they start telling stories, I start taking notes! Names and places changed, of course. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Vonn! I have a notebook I carry around just for that purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think no matter what you write, there's going to have to be a lot of your own secrets and emotions poured into the story--or it won't speak to your readers. Readers can tell when it's just something you've contrived vs. something you've truly put your heart into. There's a big difference.

    My mom was the eldest of 11 kids, and grew up during the Oklahoma Dustbowl days during the Great Depression. Oh the stories she could tell! I wish I had written them all down.

    Great post, Sara. I think inspiration comes from MANY things--our present lives, stories from our family members and friends, things we've "heard about" from the past, and our imaginings of the future to come. This is really food for thought!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I can't imagine having eleven children -- sometimes with my four it feels like I'm wrangling my own private circus. But to have eleven . . . in times such as those . . .I bet THAT was something we today couldn't even imagine <3

      Delete
  4. Sara, Our lives can't help but find release in the pages of our stories. For me, the teens I worked with show up in what I write, along with all the myriad events that compose my life. I think we writers can thank our imaginations and the willingness to put 'pen to paper' as they say for keeping us 'realively' sane. Look forward to how your characters life unfolds in this upsoming series. Doris/Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Keeping us sane, making sense of the world on paper (or word processing element). <3 Thanks, Doris! I'm so excited for the Heart series to be reborn!

      Delete