Saturday, March 16, 2013

Six Sentence Saturday - OUTLAW

By Matthew Pizzolato


Blurb: The outlaw Wesley Quaid wants to put the past behind him and start his life anew in another place where no one has ever heard of him. When a mysterious woman he once knew resurfaces, Wesley discovers that a man can't run from his past anymore than he can run from the kind of man he has become.

The Setup: The following scene occurs after Wesley backs down a reputation hunting kid without resorting to gun play that would blow his cover.


       The scent of lilac perfume assailed my nostrils as a body tucked in close to mine next to the bar.
       “Howdy, Sugah.” The voice oozed of Southern refinement.
       I glanced at her and stared for a moment at her cleavage. “Well, hello there.”
       “Buy a lady a drink?”
       Her low-cut dark green dress left little to the imagination, and the color enhanced the green of her eyes. Long golden hair hung to her waist.
       “I figure it’s you who should buy me one.”
       She raised an eyebrow. “Is that a fact?”
       “Yes ma’am.” I tossed back a drink and grinned at her. “I could have shot the place up a few minutes ago, gotten blood all over your floor, and made quite a mess.”
       Her eyes crinkled at the corners while she waved for the bartender. 

I think that was a few more than six sentences, but I never was much good at counting.  If you're interested in reading more, here is the entire first chapter of OUTLAW or it can be found on Amazon.



Matthew Pizzolato's short stories have been published online and in print. He writes Western fiction featuring his antihero character, Wesley Quaid, that can be found in his story collection, The Wanted Man and the novella Outlaw.  
Matthew is the editor and webmaster of The Western Online, a magazine dedicated to everything Western and can be contacted via his personal website: 
www.matthew-pizzolato.com or on Twitter @mattpizzolato



One lucky commenter will win a free Kindle copy of Outlaw. Be sure to include your email address with your comment.

8 comments:

  1. Loved this book! Despite being a "bad guy" readers can't help liking an outlaw like Wesley Quaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I have this loaded on my kindle and it's NEXT in line! LOL As soon as I get some time to read for pleasure, this will be the one. I can't wait--It looks like a fantastic read and I always love characters that have that ambiguity in them.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good. Think I need to mosey over to Amazon and get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good Matt! Reckon I'll be taking a look at it.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Line up for my Kindle, too.

    Jim Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, I think you will enjoy it. I couldn't put it down...read it in one sitting. Good job Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be the lilac perfume! I want to know more, so I guess I'll be going on over to Amazon, too.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words and for the copies you've purchased. Much obliged. I hope you all enjoy it.

    The winner of the free copy of OUTLAW is Charles Gramlich.

    ReplyDelete